Town of Canandaigua Cemeteries


Town of Canandaigua Cemeteries

Nine cemeteries are scattered throughout the Town of Canandaigua. Details and the locations of each can be found in the table below. For the historical and genealogical researcher, indexed lists of those interred in these cemeteries are located at the Ontario County Historical Society Museum, or on line at Information for burials can also be found at

The Town has a Cemetery Committee tasked with caring for and maintaining the Town's cemeteries. Click here to learn more. 


Academy Cemetery

This cemetery was previously privately operated, but is now owned and maintained by the Town. There are graves of veterans of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, World War I, and World War II. There is a large stone at the entrance stating, "Erected by the citizens of Canandaigua under the leadership of Henry C. Beeman (1847-1927) Company C., 15th N.Y. Cav, 1862-1865." erected in 1923. 


Location: East Side of Seneca Point Road and South of County Road #16

Cooley Cemetery

First reference to this plot is in 1879. "Twenty-four rods of land set apart by Lyman Cooley in his lifetime as a family burying ground." It is the smallest of the town's cemeteries holding just 5 stones. Stones include Shaw 1829, and Sheldon 1816. It is well maintained by the Town. 

Location: Northeast Side of Cooley Road. Near intersection of Short Road

Hunn Cemetery

Consisting of one acre, it is one of the oldest town cemeteries. Could also be called VanNorman Cemetery since it was first described as a "public burial ground" in a deed dated February 4, 1815, (Liber 23 of Deeds, Page 84) from Joseph VanNorman to his son Isaac VanNorman. There are many families buried here, including Holcomb, Ackley, Nethaway, Grant, Mack, Hicks, Booth, Hubbard, Briggs, and Spears. The most recent burial was in 1931 of Martha Spears. The oldest is Seth Holcomb on September 28, 1799. Deeds from 1833 refer to a small piece of land, on the lot opposite the burying ground, on which a meetinghouse was erected and used for public worship. This was not mentioned in the 1875 transfer and there is no evidence of the house today. Zadok Hunn, a professor at Yale and , through his ministry, organizer of nine Congregational churches in the area, is buried in this cemetery along with many from his family. There are also at least 8 Revolutionary War veterans buried here. It is well maintained by the Town. 

Click here for additional details of Hunn Cemetery

Location: Corner of Woolhouse and County Road 32, a.k.a. Bristol Road

Hunn Cemetery Brochure

Lucas Cemetery

Zebina Lucas was one of the earliest owners of record. His grave along with a number of his family are buried in this cemetery. Most recent burial for which a stone may be deciphered, records a date prior to 1900. The cemetery is maintained by the Town. 

Location: East Side of Route 21, South of Lucas Road

Pine Bank Cemetery

The cemetery, also known as Cheshire Cemetery, is privately operated and well maintained. As of today, records tell us that 114 veterans of war have been laid to rest here in Pine Bank Cemetery. These include 2 Revolutionary War Vets, 2 War of 1812 Vets, 1 Mexian War Vet., 34 Civil War Vets, 14 World War I vets, 45 World War II vets, 5 Korean War, and 11 Vietnam War vets. In addition to the 34 Civil War vets actually buried here, another 10 Cheshire natives who lost their lives in the Civil War, but with unkown burial locations have been remembered with a memorial here. 

Location: South Side of Wells-Curtis Road at Cheshire

Root / Remington Cemetery

This cemetery is land locked and only accessible by permission of adjoining land owner. Created by Rosewell Root in 1802. This is the burial site for 6 Revolutionary War Veterans (two of whom also served in the War of 1812), plus another 4 who served in the War of 1812, as well as two veterans of the Mexican War. There is a recently obtained right of way but it is for maintainance only by the Town. The last burial was over 50 years ago. 

Location: Not accessible to the public. 

North of Nott Road and west of Middle Cheshire Road

Sand Hill Cemetery

Owned by the Sand Hill Cemetery Association of Canandaigua. One half acre for burying ground. Joseph Phelps to Samuel Knapp 1812. Many Knapps, Padelfords, Tiffanys, Casorts, Herringtons, and Pikes are buried here. Most stones dated 1820 to 1870 including at least 3 Revolutionay War VeteransIt is maintained by the Town. 

Location: South Side of Emerson at Sand Hill Road 

Tilton Cemetery

Located in the northwest corner of the town. This plot is fenced in. It was never a public cemetery. There are 20 stones dating from the middle of the 19th Century, including Samuel Tilton 1859. The most recent is 1882. It is maintained by the Town. 

Location: East Side of New Michigan Road North of Yerkes Road

Wolverton / Red Dock / Benham Cemetery

Graves date from 1831 to 1883 including Beeman, Wolverton, Dempsey, Beidler, Gates, and Burch. First mention is in a deed of 1882, Parshall to Parshall. Grantors had obtained the title from the State of Connecticut in 1812. No right of way for access exists, except over private property. The town has organized periodic clean-up and maintenance of the cemetery with landowner permission. 

Location: Not accessible to the public

Located on a privately owned parcel on County Road 16, just north of Wyffels Road on a former east/west road that connected West Lake and Middle Cheshire Roads.





Be Informed! Click here to receive town news, information, and updates via email.