Food Waste Diversion
Welcome to Food Waste Diversion
Did you know we collect food waste for composting at our Transfer Station? There is no cost to residents for this program and it includes a kitchen caddy, compostable bags to line your kitchen caddy, and a larger six gallon pail to transport your scraps to the Transfer Station. Sign up today at the Town Clerk’s office!
For more information call (585) 394-3300 or email TransferStation@TownofCanandaigua.org
What foods/organics can you recycle at the Transfer Station? (Printable Flyer)
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Dairy Products
- Meat, poultry, and seafood products
- Egg shells, bones, and shellfish
- Pasta, rice, and other grain products
- Cereal, bread, and baked goods
- Coffee grounds, filters, and tea bags
- Used cooking oil and bacon grease (small quantities only)
- Pizza boxes, paper towels, napkins, and shredded paper (these items should never go in your blue bin)
- Leaves and grass clippings
- Approved compostable materials only, must be labeled ASTM D6400
Please be sure not to contaminate the contents with:
- Plastic of any kind, including: plastic bags, wrappers, or straws
- Bottles or cans
- Milk or dairy cartons
- Aluminum foil or metal
- Wood or saw dust
- Hazardous waste
Have food that can be donated? Check out Ontario County Food Pantries link for donation locations.
Interested in backyard composting? Visit this link.
TRANSFER FACILITY HOURS
Wednesday - 4:00pm - 8:00pm
Saturday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
Sunday - 8:00am - 12:00pm
5440 Route 5 & 20 West
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Contact us at 585-394-3300 or email TransferStation@TownofCanandaigua.org
Please note: Town residents may drop off food waste during transfer facility hours only. You must have your residency tag on your vehicle for these services.