Water FAQs

Find Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


When are water bills due?

Water bills are processed quarterly in January, April, July and October. You have 30 days from the processing date to pay your bill.


What is the cost of water?

The cost of water is dependent upon many factors. The Town of Canandaigua strives to keep the cost of water low for our residents. Please see Rates & Fees for current pricing.


When is a penalty added to my bill?

If your water bill payment has not been received by the Town Clerk’s office within 30 days of processing, a 10% penalty will be added. The penalty is 10% of your water usage, there is no additional penalty on arrears.


What if I don’t pay my water bill?

Unpaid balances will be levied to your Town/County tax bill on October 31 of each year.


I live in the Town of Canandaigua but my water bill comes from another town, why?

Residents in the Town of Canandaigua get water service through one of three Water Departments - Canandaigua, Farmington, or Hopewell. The Department from which you receive water depends upon your property location. Click here to see the water district map.


My water bill seems high. How do I check my meter?

Your water meter will typically be located in your basement, crawl space, utility closet, or meter pit. Check your meter when you know you are not using any water. On the meter you will see a large red hand and a small red dial. (Click Here to see image)

If you are not using any water, the small red dial should not move. If the small dial is spinning, it means water is moving through your pipes. Also keep in mind that your current bill is for previous water use, so the high use may be from several months ago.


How do I know if my toilet is leaking?

Toilets are the most common cause of water loss. When you will not need to use the toilet for about an hour, put a few drops of food coloring into the tank. Wait about an hour and check your toilet bowl. If the color appears in your toilet bowl, you have a leak. The stopper in the tank is usually the cause.


My house just sold, what do I need to do before I move?

You (the seller) and/or the seller’s attorney should contact us at (585) 394-3300 at least 1 week prior to your closing date. We will schedule a final meter reading and prepare your final bill for closing, then transfer service to the new owner.


What do I need to do when I leave my home for an extended period of time?

Contact us at (585) 394-3300 to schedule a water shut off. We will turn off your water service at the road. When you return, contact us again to turn water service back on. There is no charge for this service, however, you will continue to receive a minimum service bill so be sure to inform us of your billing address. Please note, this is not a disconnection of service. If you need water service disconnected contact us and we will review the process and charges with you at that time.


Why is someone from the Water Department at or near my home?

You will see our trucks and employees in your neighborhood when we are reading or replacing meters, doing stakeouts, flushing and servicing hydrants, repairing or installing lines, or collecting monthly water samples.


I want to excavate on my property, what should I do?

First you should contact the Development Office at (585) 394-1120 to ensure you do not need to obtain a permit for the work you plan to perform. Then call Dig Safe NY at 1-800-962-7962 at least 10 days before you plan to dig. They will notify all utilities to stake out their lines on your property.


When is grading and seeding done to repair damage?

Grading and seeding is determined by the weather. Repairs will be made as the weather permits. Damages occurring in the winter will be repaired in the spring.


Who is responsible for the water lines to my house?

The homeowner is responsible for water lines from the curb box (outside shutoff valve), to the house. The Water Department maintains water lines from the water main to the curb box.


Who is responsible for the water meter?

The Water Department will ensure your water meter is installed correctly and transmitting reads properly. Residents are responsible for maintaining the meter such as ensuring it does not freeze in the winter months and that there is clear access to the meter in case of an event.


What is a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) and do I need one?

A PRV is designed to reduce the incoming pressure to a desired set range (typically 60 psi or lower) based on your home’s type and age of plumbing. A PRV will protect your homes plumbing from potential pressure surges and damages that may occur. The New York Plumbing Code requires installation of PRV’s when line pressure entering a building exceeds 80 psi. In the Town of Canandaigua, our average water pressure is approximately 110 psi.


I have a Reduced Pressure Zone device (RPZ), what are my responsibilities?

Reduced Pressure Zone devices, or RPZs, are required when you have an irrigation system, automatic pool filling devise, or commercial business on a property that has water service. The Town of Canandaigua requires the RPZ be inspected annually. The inspection report, once complete, must be submitted to the Water Department.


Is my water fluoridated?

Yes. All of the water is fluoridated to 1 part per million, the level recommended by the New York State Department of Health.


What is the hardness of my water?

About 8.1 grains per gallon. For more information on water quality, click here to view the Annual Water Quality Report.


Why is my water “milky” colored?

The most common cause for “milky” water is air. When you fill a glass with water, if the bubbles rise and the water is clear, it is air. If this is not the cause, call us at (585) 394-3300.


My water seems to be running slowly, what is the cause?

If the slow water is only in one faucet, that faucet is most likely plugged. You can unscrew the screen and clean it. If multiple faucets are slow, your shutoff valve (located before the meter) may not be open fully or your pressure regulator may not be working properly. A plumber can test for this and repair or replace your PRV.


How can I conserve water?

There are many ways to reduce your water consumption. You can install an aerator on your faucet which will reduce the amount of water coming out of the faucet. You can turn the water off while brushing your teeth or shampooing your hair. You should immediately repair any drips or leaks in your home and periodically check your faucets and toilet to ensure they are working properly. Also check your outside sources, make sure your hose bibs and hoses are all working properly.


Be Informed! Click here to receive town news, information, and updates via email.