Zoning Inspector (Full Time)
ZONING INSPECTOR (FULL TIME)
The Town of Canandaigua is accepting applications for a full time Zoning Inspector. This position assists residents, developers, applicants, and staff with zoning and building applications. Additionally, this work involves the inspection of properties for compliance with local zoning and other land use regulations.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Review zoning and building applications to determine completeness related to application requirements and compliance with municipal zoning and subdivision regulation (determinations);
- Assist and advise applicants as to application status and outstanding documentation;
- Explain the provisions of zoning and land use regulations and procedures to residents and the general public;
- Attendance at Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Environmental Conservation Board meetings (evenings);
- Provide staff support to the Zoning Board of Appeals as needed, which shall include assisting with processing of applications and carrying out all notification and compliance actions;
- Support the Planning Review Committee (PRC) process by creating and distributing meeting agendas and providing applicants with any relevant comments or minutes regarding issues to be addressed;
- Work with existing staff to maintain the Development Office’s database and property filing systems working in a team environment.
Candidates should have a desire to work closely with the general public including matters to be considered by the Planning, and Zoning boards. The position includes preparation of reports, working with zoning maps, organization of data, reading and comprehending town code, and the ability to read and understand site plans. Additionally, the position includes maintaining a variety of filing systems. Applicant should be comfortable working with deadlines to provide information for boards and staff when applicable.
The successful candidate will have graduated from high school or possession of a high school diploma or regionally accredited college with at minimum an Associate’s Degree. One year of paid experience in building construction or review of plans and specifications is preferred. Ability to use a personal computer including the use of Microsoft Power Point, Excel, and Access for database management is needed. The ability to read and understand town code is required. For more information please contact Town of Canandaigua, Director of Development, Doug Finch at email@example.com.
Applications and resumes should be received by April 1, 2016. To apply please submit your application to Director of Development, Doug Finch, firstname.lastname@example.org or mail or in person to: Town of Canandaigua, Development Office 5440 Route 5 & 20 West, Canandaigua, NY 14424.