



- 2) Status of the Open Space Master Plan by Barbara Johnston of LaBella Associates and discuss the upcoming Public Meeting on June 18<sup>th</sup>.
- 3) TDR

## **Plan 2028**

**Kevin Reynolds:** Joyce Marthaller has been doing the majority of the work getting everything ready.

**Joyce Marthaller:** We have already received kitchen caddies, transfer pails directly connected to the Transfer Station Giveaway Program. We are waiting to receive a quote on compost bins. The price has gone up. The price includes delivery of 20 lbs. of worm compost. The Giveaway Program is moving forward. We've finalized all the education materials. The Cornell Cooperative Extension is all set to give a presentation. National Upcycling will be coming, as well. They have a pick-up truck with logos on the sides that will be parked outside the building on Saturday, June 16<sup>th</sup>, for Open House. There will be a big banner outside sometime between the beginning of next week and the program on June 20<sup>th</sup>. There will also be a large orange tote to allow people to see what it looks like.

**Kevin:** During the Pilot Program, 100 residents will receive kitchen containers.

**Joyce:** There will be a bin inside the facility at the Open House to show what it will look like. Arrangements have been made for 100 bins to be given away. The recipients must be residents of the Town and be signed up. We also have 100 transfer buckets, 200 caddies – one for a backyard compost and one for the Transfer Station. There is going to be a box of compostable bags to ensure a neat experience. At the last ECB meeting, it was decided that they are going to reproduce the recycling brochure and add Transfer Station information to it. This is also in the works.

**Doug Finch:** Can you include the new traffic pattern that is set to begin on June 23<sup>rd</sup> and have some fliers at the Open House that will explain and show what it will look like?

**Joyce:** OK. We should ask Kaitlynn (McCumiskey) and Jim (Fletcher) to put something together.

**Kevin:** Let's put a lot of signs up, as well.

**Sarah Reynolds:** Maybe John Robortella can put it in the Newsletter, as well.

**Oksana Fuller:** Joyce, have you figured out where the Natural Upcycling truck will be?

**Joyce:** Outside the doors. People will see the tote and banner. They are thinking of bringing the banner in for the Open House, but may leave it outside so more people will be able to see it.

Oksana presented a blueprint of the manner in which everything will be set up and laid out at the Open House.

**Oksana:** spoke about the Open House: On Thursday (6/13), the Parks and Highway Departments will handle the picking up of tables and chairs. They are going to pick up orange panels and exhibits from Granger Homestead and the Museum. On Friday (6/14), The Events Committee is going to come at 9:00 am. The tables will be set up on Thursday, The Town banner will be set up on Friday. There will be 11” x 17” signs put up on the wall. Signs will also be attached to the front of the tables. The pick-up from Wegmans needs to be done. Payment from the Town needs to be taken care of beforehand. The Porta Potties are coming on Friday. Compostable bins will be set up. Everyone is coming at 1:00. On Saturday morning we need to be there at 8:00 am. Grilling is set to begin at 8:30 to be ready for people when they start arriving at 9:00. Greeters will be at the front and back. Everything will be torn down at 1:00. I will be typing up the revisions that will go to all of the department heads, the CIC, and the Town Board.

**Sarah:** Does BOCES need to bring their own tables?

**Oksana:** No, we will have enough.

**Sarah:** Marie Anselm, from the Cooperative Extension, said she would like to come.

**Oksana:** Sarah will find out when she talks to her on Thursday. Kimberly, from Bergmann Associates, will be bringing their display. Can you be at both tables, Sarah?

**Sarah:** I can probably be at both AG and Bergmann.

There was a discussion regarding the CIC minutes and the approval process. It was agreed that the draft minutes would be emailed to all CIC members and be formally approved at the next CIC meeting.

### **Open Space Master Plan**

Barbara Johnston presented the revised Executive Summary.

**Barbara:** We have made a lot of changes to the Strategies. I would like to go over those today. There have been some inconsistencies. I hope that by today, we would have some consensus to move forward. Then we will open it up to the landowners and public on June 18<sup>th</sup>.

**Sarah:** We will set the Public Hearing at the July Town Board meeting for the potential adoption at the August Town Board meeting.

Barbara presented the five key strategies: (See Attached handout from meeting for additional details.)

### **Strategies**

1) Encourage land stewardship by landowners

*Barbara: Most of the open space in town is in private ownership.*

2) Enhance wildlife habitat

3) Conserve open space through land use regulations

*Barbara: This is where the Town has the most control. It might be a good idea to codify in the regulations where you put the trees and subdivisions.*

4) Acquire land and/or interests in land with exceptional conservation value

5) Increase understanding among government officials and the general public about the benefits of the Town's open space.

These are the broad strategies. A lot of what we have worked on has been put into action. We are hoping that this provides a good framework to proceed.

### **Key Implementation Actions**

1) The Environmental Conservation Board will organize or co-sponsor 1 - 2 educational activities a year to encourage land stewardship among private landowners.

2) The Town will adopt the reference maps in this Plan as the Open Space Index. The ECB will rely on these maps to consider potential impacts from development on open space resources.

*Barbara: These maps are what the Board will rely on.*

- 3) The Town Board will commit funds for the acquisition of land or interests in land for conservation of open space. Strategic acquisitions will focus on the preservation of land for wildlife, forest and wetlands, stream corridors and other important open space lands. Sources of funding will include property taxes, bonding, grants and donations, as well as fees or taxes on new development.

**Barbara:** *If the people and the Town believe in it enough, they will pay for it.*

**Barbara:** *Finger Lakes Vision – database. Invasive species a bad effect – impact on wildlife.*

Ontario County Trees and Shrubs sale, - Notes on handout

**Barbara:** Strategies – One by One

- 1) Education is the first step. Scientists talked to landowners about how their resources benefit the region, ecology, and financial incentives.
- 2) Mike Palermo, from the DEC, was instrumental in putting these strategies together. Responsible forestry management is best for wildlife. Money is available to revegetate stream buffers. Avoid fragmenting the Town’s forests, provide sample layouts.  
Legal deer hunting, protection of wildlife in forests

**Sarah:** Interactive digital version of the map would be great.

**Barbara:** I think I might combine A & B (Strategy 4). We would update the Executive Summary.

**Oksana:** Could we hand out copies of the Executive Summary at the Open House?

**Sarah:** As long as it would say “Draft” on the front page.

**Tom Schwartz:** For the Open House it would be nice if we had a couple of big maps showing parcel rating.

**Barbara:** Maybe showing all of the ecological communities. Fliers could be mailed to the landowners.

**Sarah:** Could those fliers also be available at the Open House?

**Barbara:** Sure.

**Joyce:** These strategies mirror the public surveys very well. All of the concerns are captured.

**Sarah:** If you could make it available in PDF form, I can add it to the newsletter.

**Barbara:** Yes, I can do that. I can combine ‘Inform and educate landowners’ with ‘Have workshops and educational programs. Would you like two hard copies for the Town Hall after it is announced?’

**Doug:** Two copies would be helpful.

**Joyce:** Do we usually give a copy to the library?

**Doug:** I don’t think we have in the past, but we can.

**Barbara:** Three hard copies. How many copies of the Executive Summary and flier do you need?

**Tom:** 50.

## **TDR**

**Doug:** We are required to report back to the Town Board with regard to the TDR by July 16<sup>th</sup>.

Doug handed out copies of the report to everyone.

**Doug:** How would everybody like to go through this? Page by page? Make some recommendations to the Town Board so it can take action.

**Tom:** On page 4, Recommendation #2, Open Space Fund – we have to hit them hard. Item 4b – Why is it just four or more lots? Why not every lot?

**Doug:** Open Space Fee sets a policy before a project is brought to us. I think we would get some pushback from the Town Board. Major housing development will use up the most funds.

**Sarah:** Why is a Parks fee more valid than asking people to pay a fee for Open Space?

**Tom:** Lip service about providing Open Space.

**Sarah:** It seems valid. If I own property and I already understand the Parks and Rec fee, it makes sense to have an Open Space fee, as well.

**Doug:** Tom, are you thinking we would do it similar to Parks and Rec, where the Planning Board would impose the fee?

**Kevin:** It’s important to develop the criteria for the Planning Board to base their decisions. It might be decided that someone has done enough to avoid paying the fee.

**Joyce:** You have to be careful. A landowner might say “If I give you five of my ten acres, instead of paying a fee.....”

**Tom:** They could be key players in our strategy and implementation.

**Joyce:** If we are going to be asking for this, what about the bonding? Does this eliminate our Open Space fee?

**Doug:** I don't think so. You could be potentially talking about millions of dollars to protect nine parcels.

**Joyce:** Do we need both, or is the bond sufficient?

**Doug:** Don't you think we need both?

**Joyce:** Yes, I do, but I'm talking about the politics, etc.

**Doug:** For protection, I think you need the bond.

**Oksana:** What would be some of the objections from the Town Board besides raising the fee?

**Tom:** I have been appalled when there is a public hearing, and no one shows up. Rampant apathy.

**Joyce:** The Water Initiative is costing 7 million dollars. The Town Board will probably sail through it. It is essential, so it will go right through. The infrastructure is different.

**Sarah:** It's tangible.

**Doug:** If we agree with the bonding, let's put it together and draft a resolution that would include specific times to address these matters.

**Joyce:** We need to be specific about which parcels and where the Open Space happens to fall and where we intend to use it.

**Doug:** There are some parcel overlays between the AG and Open Space; maybe we can use that.

**Sarah:** Talking about wildlife, Miller Park has already seen an increase in the number of bird species visiting the grassland area.

**Doug:** Some of the strategies could be implemented on Town-owned land like Miller Park.

**Sarah:** More diversity is always better, so wildflowers and grasses are both good.

**Joyce:** Edith Davey, ECB member, said her main concern is our conserving an area for the birds and their habitat.

**Doug:** Miller Park – Work still needs to be done, including the parking lot. With regard to TDR, does everyone agree with the concept?

**Tom:** Yes, but it's hard to envision the right situation where it works.

**Joyce:** Two different ways – a sending and receiving program or the bank.

**Tom:** Why not both?

**Joyce:** You could. Sending and receiving is a lot of work. We would have to do a lot of research. A relationship between the developer and the MUOs has to be developed and scrutinized. With the bank, you could allow developers to have their density; put the money into an account, let them use it as they need. It would allow us to do more with Open Space than just the Greenway.

**Doug:** Very good point, Joyce. Ask Sarah about the pilot program. We have developers interested in MUO3 now.

**Joyce:** I think the CIC could make a recommendation to the Town Board about the density (same as in the Sending and Receiving Program).

**Doug:** MUO3 requirement for 40% Open Space – if the developer wants to participate in the TDR, we could give them some variation and flexibility with that percentage. They could also have some flexibility with the number of housing units allowed if residential.

TDR has to be in code. MUO3 would still have 40%. If the developer is willing to buy into it, they will have to contribute money to the bank.

**Sarah:** Why is one area worth more than another area on the lake?

**Doug:** Look at ratings.

**Kevin:** There's concern with the way we rate the parcels. If steep slope and wetland are on one parcel, the value is decreased.

**Tom:** If you had adjoining parcels, add them together.

**Doug:** The current code for MUO is allowing for almost anything. If we continue to debate and go on, we are going to miss the opportunity.

**Kevin:** We are not ready.

**Doug:** For TDR?

**Kevin:** I don't think so.

Someone asked, "What about parcels specifically?"

**Doug:** Is the CIC saying we are not ready for the TDR Program, that we are not ready to buy into it? Is the CIC willing to say "Yes, we need to be ready to go forward."?

**Eric Cooper:** How does TDR relate to bonding and a fee for Open Space?



**Joyce:** I would be for it because it would be another revenue source. I also think a pilot program would be good to try first.

**Tom:** How different is this from incentive zoning?

**Kevin:** That is the problem – a parallel track.

**Ray Henry:** I would like to hear more about what the differences are from the Town Board's perspective.

**Kevin:** I don't know, but it is very difficult to know what the incentive is going to be. To allow zoning for an incentive for something but not for something else, that gets complicated.

**Joyce:** What are some similarities and differences between the TDRs and incentive zoning? Can we use incentive zoning instead of a TDR?

**Doug:** There are some similarities and also some differences. They're very minimal. We have tried to avoid incentive zoning because it can be very controversial. It would have to be negotiated project by project.

**Joyce:** Maybe it would give us an opportunity to add to the fund and see how it goes. So how much would a developer pay to get more density?

**Sarah:** We have no authority right now.

**Kevin:** Can we get an idea of what the cost will be?

**Joyce:** We need an idea of which TDR program we are ready to implement.

**Doug:** Kevin, your question about cost – do we need to know that at this point?

**Kevin:** I'm not sure if we can get where we need to be without providing the Town Board with the idea.

**Oksana:** Didn't we have a resolution?

**Sarah:** Yes, this document is in response to that.

**Doug:** We probably need a special meeting to discuss this further. Let me work on putting together some more specifics. We can meet again to discuss this at the Joint Meeting (CIC, ECB, TB) on June 19<sup>th</sup>. That is also the date of our next CIC meeting. The agenda for that day is the Water and Sewer Master Plans, but we can add TDR after that.

There will be no meeting on July 3<sup>rd</sup>.

July 17<sup>th</sup> - Cultural and Historical Preservation Project Team

Also on July 17<sup>th</sup> - Artisan Meats, 1:00 pm – Tour with the Economic Development Team. See Oksana if you wish to attend.

➤ **MEMBERS' REPORTS**

None at this time.

➤ **UPCOMING MEETING TOPICS**

July 17th – Cultural and Historical Preservation Project Team

**ADJOURNMENT AND NEXT MEETING**

MEETING WAS ADJOURNED AT 10:55 AM.